Title: Bridge Attendant
Successfully pass a Pre-Employment physical, DOT drug screen and Background Check.
Job Summary: Collect tolls, operate Swing Bridge, bridge maintenance, empty vaults, monitor river for any vessel, keep road clean and clear, properly operate cash register and properly complete all related paperwork.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Properly operate swing mechanism on the bridge.
- Continuously monitor river for vessels that might request a bridge opening.
- All employees must be continuously vigilant and aware of property surroundings (land and water) visually and audibly for any incident or item that may occur that is in need of immediate attention.
- Regard all customers with respect and courtesy with a friendly demeanor.
- Accurately count money and give exact change.
- Plow snow, spread bags of salt and remove any debris off the side of the road.
- Bridge maintenance, greasing gears, and visual inspection of the bridge.
- Fill out end of shift report with accurate count of credit.
- Maintain and update a daily log.
- Keep work areas neat and clean.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Perform efficiently in stressful situations.
- Proficiently use cash register including counting and giving correct change.
- Capable of climbing steep flight of stairs to swing bridge. Staircase is only 1 foot 5 inches wide.
- Ability to accurately distinguish different colors (lights on a control panel that show status of the bridge, or vehicle identification).
- Proficiently resolve or contact supervisor if a problem arises.
- Capable of working with heavy equipment.
- Effectively work independently with little supervision.
- Requires friendly disposition to customers and co-workers.
Special Requirements to Operate Swing Mechanism on Bridge
- 20/20 vision along with excellent night vision and color detection.
- To swing bridge, a bridge attendant is required to walk up and down stairs that are only 1 foot 5 inches wide with the total of 19 steps to get to the control room. There are occasions where a bridge attendant will have to walk up and down these stairs about 8 to 10 times a day.
- The bridge operates 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 365 days; all bridge attendants must be able to work a swing shift schedule.
- During a bridge swing, the bridge attendant will need to shift a clutch and pin that requires 125 lbs. of force.
- Required to jog motor with one hand and push the clutch with the other hand when swinging the bridge. Total distance between clutch and motor button is 4 feet 5 inches.
- Minimal hearing loss, acceptable degree would be; Mild Range (26 to 40 decibels).
Starting Wage: $14.00 Hour
The following Benefit Programs are available to eligible employees:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Profit Sharing
- Short Term Disability
- Vacation Benefits